Friday, November 11, 2005

Hannah & Jack were learning about Remembrance Day all week at school and are very proud to wear a poppy today, every year I keep saying I am going to take the kids to a Remembrance Day ceremony. Next year, I promise.

I heard an interesting fact about the World War 1 veterans in Canada, this is the first time there won't be one in the celebration in Ottawa, and their average age is 103! I think there are only 5 World War 1 veterans alive in Canada, out of some 619,000 that served.


And here is John McCrae's famous poem;

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.


We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep,
though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish you could have seen Poppa sitting with his medals on and his United Nations cap at a service at the Griffith McConnell. He got up and said a naval prayer. Then they introduced all the veterans - I think there were about 16 including several women. I got a picture - hope it turns out.

Mum

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home